DIRECTORS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Maurice Dwek - Chairman - aged 72
- Maurice Dwek started trading as a distributor of certain ICI products in 1963. He was chairman and co-founded Dwek Group plc in 1963, a company which was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1973. In 1988 Dwek Group plc had a turnover of £38 million and made profits before tax of £4.1 million and was sold to a management buy-out team. In 1989, he became chairman of Arlen plc (electronics) and Owen & Robinson plc (sports footwear, retailing and jewellery shops). He resigned as chairman of both companies in 1992 but was re-appointed as chairman of Owen & Robinson plc in May 1996 in order to rescue the business from administration by arranging a placing and open offer and re-listing the company on the Official List of the London Stock Exchange. He retired from the board of Owen and Robinson plc in September 1996 in order to concentrate on Newmark where he is Chairman, having been appointed in May 1997 and is responsible for its strategic direction.
Brian Gordon Beecraft - Group Finance Director - aged 61
- Brian Beecraft qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1973 with Touche Ross and Co. In 1985, he joined United Transport International PLC, the transport division of BET PLC, and became group financial controller in 1990, responsible for all aspects of financial control and accounting for the group. In 1994, he left United Transport following the acquisition of BET PLC by Rentokil plc and worked as a freelance financial consultant for four years before joining the Board in April 1998 as Finance Director.
Michel Rapoport Non - Executive Director - aged 69
- Michel Rapoport was previously President and Chief Executive of Mosler Inc., a manufacturer and integrator of security systems for banking, industrial and commercial organisations. Prior to that he was Vice President of Pitney Bowes International and Chairman of Pitney Bowes France. He is president and Chief Executive Officer of LII Holdings, Inc, a holding company based in Atlanta, Georgia USA. He joined the Newmark Board in January 2001.
Nicholas Medlam - Non Executive Director - aged 64
- Nicholas Medlam was a graduate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with post-graduate studies in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. He became a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers and a Chartered Engineer in 1981 and was elected a Fellow of the Institution in 1991. After 12 years in the technical arm of the British Army he joined Haden Carrier in 1977. His industrial career was in specialised building services including security, safety, public information systems and fire/gas detection and annunciation. He joined Safetell in 1992 and was responsible for the UK operation and licensing the Safetell screen technology throughout the world. He became Secretary of the British Security Industry Association Physical Security Equipment Section at its formation in 1994 and became Section Chairman in 1997, resigning by rotation in 2001. He retired as managing director of Safetell in April 2009 but remains a non-executive director.
Derek Blethyn - Executive Director - aged 60
- Derek Blethyn qualified in the design and manufacture of industrial process control systems. He was the owner and manager of Grosvenor Contract Management which he started in 1986 as a provider of high quality industrial process solutions as well as providing office fitting and data cabling installations. In 1989 Derek was a founding member of Grosvenor Technology and built the company into a widely acknowledged leader in the world of access control and security management systems. Grosvenor Technology was sold in 2002 to Newmark Security where Derek remains as Managing Director of the Electronic Security Division.
Robert Waddington - Non Executive Director - aged 70
Marie-Claire Dwek - Non Executive Director - aged 48
Sub-Committees of the Board
- The Board has established two standing committees, the audit and remuneration committees, comprising of independent Non-Executive Directors. Each committee has written terms of reference. The Audit Committee, comprising R. Waddington, N. Medlam and MC. Dwek is responsible for the appointment of external auditors, reviewing the interim and annual financial results, considering matters raised by the auditors and reviewing the internal control systems operated by the Group. The Remuneration Committee, comprising M. Rapoport, N. Medlam and MC Dwek meets at last once a year to review the terms and conditions of employment of Executive Directors including the provision of incentives and performance related benefits.